The greatest thing I did today was attend the honor celebration from the AAUW honoring Debbie. As Sheila the President of the group spoke and said all of her honors it just gave me goosebumps because Debbie is a woman that I look up to. She is a woman who did not have it easy to just grow up and into money. She worked her butt off as a woman who was not seen as equal to men when she was growing up. She stands at Capitol Hill and fights for the rights of women, and American's, especially senior citizens who have given my generation the ability to live life full of freedom.
The one thing she said today that I think we all need to remember is that we need to forget about democrat or republican and remember we are American. Something that has really put me into the funk lately is what she said. I am so tired of people hating on one another because of what someone believes in. We are AMERICANS who have been provided freedom by those who have paved the way before us. If it is so bad here in America, please I urge you to go down to Belize or Guatemala and live in a one room house with 5 people sleeping in one twin bed and dirt floors. I urge you to try to live on $3.00 a day. Yes, there are many aspects to our government that are not right, but we are so much more blessed than so many people around the world. We need to remember that America is where we continue to choose to live and that we must unite together to continue to enjoy the freedoms that we have been granted as citizens here. Please start putting aside democrat and republican and remember humanity first.
No comments:
Post a Comment