Friday, March 28, 2014

Sisterhood

I recited a purpose many times over the course of two years.  This purpose has helped me to become the woman I am today and I never regret spending money to have friends.  Everyone always ridiculed me about paying for friendship.  I did not pay for friendships because 7 years later I am still very good friends with many sorority sisters.  I gained so much more than a friendship, I gained leadership skills and the ability to live with purpose.  As  I travel to Canada with one of my sisters to truly and literally celebrate International Reunion Day of Alpha Gamma Delta, I will remember this purpose, and the positivity that flows from it.

To gain understanding that wisdom may be vouchsafed to me. In 27 years, many people have given me their wisdom.  Wisdom is the best key to life.  You cannot learn everything in school, it is the wisdom from those who have already gone through it that will help you see the world in a positive light.  

To develop and prize health and vigor of body.   We must be conscious of our health and our body.  Being conscious does not mean skin and bones or exercising everyday.  It means moderation and keeping our lungs open and our hearts pumping.

To cultivate acquaintance with many whom I meet.  You will not be best friends with everyone you meet.  It is important to become acquaintance with those you meet because you never know when they will cross your path or what they will teach you.   I have been fortunate to meet many people and cross paths with a lot of positive successful people who have helped me to get where I am today.  

To cherish friendships with but a chosen few and to study the perfecting of those friendships.  I would rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.  I do not have a million friends and I am okay with that.  I have a few close friends whom I can rely on in any given situation to provide insight and support where I need it.   

To welcome the opportunity of contributing to the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service thereby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied.  This sums up my life motto right here.  Contributing to the community is the best give I have ever been given.  I am so glad I was taught to help others because it truly is a need our community has.  Leadership is something Alpha Gamma Delta taught me and I will always use that in my positions I hold.     

To honor my home, my country, my religious faith. Home is what creates us.  However, a bad home situation is not an excuse for poor decisions.  We learn what our parents believe is right and wrong but that does not always mean we have to believe in the same.  But we are lucky to have a home, a community where we grew.  Our country may not believe in what we do, but it gives us freedom to go after our goals and dreams. Our faith is something that gets us by when we need hope.  No matter what you believe in, it will help you through a struggle.  You have to believe there is something at the end of every road.  

To hold truth inviolable, sincerity essential, kindness invaluable.  Truth should always be respected.  I have learned that telling the truth saves people from being hurt.  It may not be what you want to hear, but it is going to be the right thing to hear in the end.  We must be sincere.  Think of everyone as someones loved one.  Would you want to be treated without sincerity?  Kindness is so valuable.  When you are kind to others, you will live a positive life.   

To covet beauty in environment, manner, word and thought.  There is beauty even in ugly things.  Who defines ugly?  We do.  If you believe that there is beauty in something, you are right.  There is no one that can say something is ugly other than yourself.  Think positive and beauty will flow.   

To possess high ideals and to attain somewhat unto them.   We must have a set of ideals.  If you do not have ideals then you have nothing to strive for.  What is life if we do not have some type of wishes, goals, inspiration.  We cannot be perfect so we must attain to somewhat unto them, not 100% otherwise we would not learn if we did not make mistakes.  

This shall be my purpose that those who know me may esteem Alpha Gamma Delta for her attainments, revere her for her purposes and love her for her Womanhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment